When we release new versions of our applications, we may not always post about the changes made to these applications on this blog. However, the changes that we made to our Android app titled “Is This Gluten-Free?” that you can find on the Google Play store here were significant enough for us to post about them here.

We found that the app was not successfully retrieving information on product names from databases as often as it previously did. There were changes that needed to be made to the way in which the app requested data from these databases. After these changes were made, the app is now more likely to retrieve the information on the names of the products after you scan their barcodes.

Another change that you may notice in this new version of the app is that the search button below where a product name would be entered has been made larger. We decided to do this after a reviewer of this app made a good point about how the search button should not be on the left side of the screen. As we do listen to users of this app, we decided to make a change to the search button that we believe is an improvement. It now takes up the entire width of the screen, and so it is now in a location where it would be expected to be. A screenshot of the updated product search screen is below.

A Screenshot That Shows the Larger Search Button
A Screenshot That Shows the Larger Search Button

We will continue to look for ways to make this app work as well as possible in helping people who need to avoid the consumption of gluten. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them in the comments section here. It is quite possible that suggestions that you make here will be implemented in future versions of this app.

Leave a Reply